A great air purifier buying guide can help you identify which air cleaner suits you. Some air purifiers are superb for one thing but not another. Some technologies work plus some try not to. Our air cleaner buying guide can help you identify what to watch out for and assist you in finding just the right air cleanser to your requirements.
FAQ about Air Cleaner:
- Air cleanser buying guide – things to consider
- Air purifier buying guide – must haves
- Air purifier buying guide – nice to possess
- Air purifier buying guide – maybe
- Air cleanser buying guide – try not to touch
- Air cleanser buying guide – other things to consider
Air purifier buying guide – what to consider
The very first thing to take into account before buying an air cleaner is really what you wish to make use of the air cleanser for. Whether you need to reduce your allergy or asthma symptoms, remove tobacco smoke or dust through the air or just like to create a more healthful indoor environment – an excellent air purifier is frequently the best/only proper solution for airborne contamination. Because of their capacity to take the broadest array of pollution out of the air, home air cleaners are an ever ever more popular household item. Air cleanser buying guide – Common concerns and symptoms:
- Dust Mite
- Removing Dust
- General Air Quality
- Traffic Pollution
- Pet Dander
- MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)
- Cigarette Smoke
Air purifier buying guide – must haves
HEPA Electronic Home Air Cleaners
- Certain things are considered ‘must haves’ for a beneficial air purifier. A highly effective air cleaner has, for instance, the appropriate filters to eliminate or significantly reduce steadily the kinds of pollution in your home that you will be worried about. The air cleaner will also must be in a position to complete an appropriate quantity of air changes within the room you’re planning to make use of it in. Unfortunately, a massive most of air cleanser manufacturers are wilfully misleading in regards to the performance of these home air cleaners. Things such as for instance filtration efficiency, amount of air flow, noise level and what kinds of pollution the air cleanser can cope with in many cases are obfuscated by many manufacturers – either because they do not know much about air purification or as they do not want you to understand the reality about the performance of these product. What filtration efficiency, airflow and sound pressure you’re looking for, or is right for you, is based on your particular concern. We will discuss each performance indicator into the section below in detail.
Air cleanser buying guide – nice to possess
Some popular features of an air purifier are not absolutely necessary, but could be considered ‘nice to haves’. A filter life indicator is, as an example, a very useful feature to own. The filter life indicator will notify you when the filters have to be changed. Replacing the filters in the required time will make sure the air cleanser is performing since it should and protects the fan from being damaged.
- Unfortunately, there’s absolutely no decent air cleanser that is small adequate to fit in the palm of the hand and certainly will be carried around easily. Have you thought to? Well, there are limits to your physics of what is possible. You would not expect a washing machine the dimensions of a toaster in order to complete a proper load of laundry. Similarly, you must not expect an air purifier the size of a toaster in order to move enough air to help you to properly purify an averaged size room. Casters often helps allow it to be significantly simpler to move your air purifier at home, particularly if you have got a unit that may handle considerable amounts of air. Handles are also useful, since it enables you to easily lift the unit from a single room to a different.
Handy Remote Control
- Enables you to easily control and alter the settings regarding the air cleaner from a comfortable distance, increasing accessibility.
- Unfortunately, we come across it all the time that perhaps the big companies with household names make electronic home air cleaners without providing an assurance for the length of time it will be easy to buy replacement filters. When the unit is not selling well any longer, or they feel it is the right time to “upgrade” it and alter its looks and features, the model together with production of the replacement filters because of it are discontinued.
- Turning the system off and on during times during the the day/week, enables you to save energy and prolong the filter life.
Multiple Fan Speeds
- Alter the speed setting to your preference, to suit your indoor pollution level or sound preference.
Air cleanser buying guide – maybe
- Ionic air purifiers are marketed as being quiet and efficient; however, in addition they have a tendency to release ozone into any room, not making them well suited for everyone.
Air purifier buying guide – usually do not touch
- Keep clear of home air cleaners which can be straight up ozone generators. These units produce large amounts of ozone by design and form a significant threat to your quality of life.
- Some home air cleaners use a filter density known as Ultra-Low Particulate Air (ULPA), claiming that is more advanced than HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air). These filters drastically reduce airflow and as such limit the performance regarding the air purifier.
Incineration and Combustion
- This sort of filter technology will not take pollution from the air, but quite simply burns it. Burning dust as well as other pollution in the air will not directly lead to cleaner air… also, whilst incineration does not permit you to move very much air quickly – a vital requirement for any decent air cleanser.
Air cleanser buying guide – other things to consider
- Any air cleanser you buy in the UK should come with a 2 year warranty; some air cleanser manufacturers attempt to sell you additional extended warranty or you will need to get your contact information in return for additional warranty. Be sure to check what the warranty covers, such as for instance motor/ fan, display, other electrical components and labour. Consumables, such as for instance filters are normally not included in an air purifier warranty. Also, be sure to check if customer action will void the warranty. Most warranties will as an example only connect with the initial purchaser associated with unit and won’t transfer to subsequent owners.
- As you can see from the table below, different concerns require different filtration efficiencies. The bigger filtration efficiencies are attained by HEPA or HyperHEPA filtration (so long as it pertains to your whole system filtration efficiency and not simply a ‘theoretical’ filter efficiency) whilst lower filtration efficiencies are achieved from using filters with a diminished filtration efficiency such as ‘HEPA-like’ or ‘HEPASilent’ filters. It’s very common that manufacturers do not display the specific filtration efficiency of the air cleanser all together, but only provide customers with a misleading theoretical filtration efficiency. If ionisation is used then it is worthwhile to understand that the filtration efficiency will decrease the more polluted the collection surface/filter gets. The performance for the unit can drastically decrease this is why. Furthermore, in the event that unit is not leakage free, the amount of leakage will increase as the filters become more loaded too, further decreasing efficiency. Thus, some ionisers will have a high filtration efficiency in the first place but after some time the filtration efficiency will gradually decrease.
- The noise level will change with respect to the speed setting the unit is being used on. You will need to think about your noise tolerance, and take into consideration where in fact the air cleaner will undoubtedly be used. All proper air purifiers will produce some degree of noise; with respect to the speed setting the unit is being applied to. However, you ought not compromise the cleaning performance of this unit for the comfort of reduced noise levels. An admirer this is certainly too small or this is certainly moving too slowly may not be pushing enough air to correctly filter the atmosphere within the room it really is getting used in. One thing to be skeptical of is when manufacturers are not specifying the noise level on different speed settings associated with air cleaner. It is unfortunately quite common for a few manufactures to market their air cleaner only from the noise degree of the quietest settings. With regards to the technology used, some electronic home air cleaners are quiet at first but become noisier the more used the filters are. If the filters are loaded, then the unit will emit more noise as the unit is working arduaously harder, attempting to pull air through the filters. For more information about assessing the noise levels of an air purifier visit our Blog post Quiet Air Purifier
- Online investigation can be helpful; however, it is often hard to say how liable a source really is. Some sites are not particularly experienced in air purification. Some formerly independent review sites have been bought by air cleaner manufacturers, and from now on attempting to promote their particular products given that best. Listed here is a summary of sites which do independent air cleanser testing:
- Consumer Search
- Consumer Reports
- Best Buy
To see overview of the best air cleaner testing sites, visit our air purifier reviews on site: air purifier reviews
- Regularly maintaining an air purifier is essential so that the unit is working effectively. To experience maximum performance through the air cleanser you will have to replace the filters regularly. You ought to find out the cost and average life time of each and every filter before purchase. However, remember that actual filter life will greatly rely on usage and contamination levels. Be skeptical of air purifiers which require very frequent filter replacements. Also look out for air purifiers which require you to clean/or wash the filters.
- The manufacturer’s reputation is an important deciding factor, given that experience of past customers deserves some consideration. Some manufacturers and products are highly respected in the air purifier industry for a reason, building their portfolio over time through products that work and providing great customer support. You will definitely always find manufacturers who make various claims about their products or services but have quite little to support these claims.