A century of excellence

In 2008,9A8D05F62A5AE6266A2F6A0563138FCC.0 B. Braun celebrated a century of industrially manufactured sterile sutures. This important anniversary renewed our desire to contribute to the advancement of modern surgery – by continuing into the 21st century our tradition of developing pioneering products and offering a wide range of opportunities for acquiring new skills.

Moreover, to give fresh impetus to innovation in this field, we were staging an international competition:
The Future of Sutures. Thiswas designed to create a platform for interdisciplinary exchange on surgical wound-closure techniques – and to find and foster new perspectives in this key area of surgery.

A century ago, B. Braun, founded in 1839, joined forces with surgeon Dr. Franz Kuhn to develop the first-ever industrial method of manufacturing sterile catgut. This enabled the large-scale production of sterile sutures – without compromising on quality. And this makes 1908 a landmark in the history of wound closure and surgery.

Spurred on by this success, B. Braun went on to tackle other surgical challenges, and to repeatedly set new standards. From wound closure, to hernia repair, to hemostasis – B. Braun products are now essential to the day-to-day running of hospitals.